HistoryIT is seeking to hire full-time Metadata Specialists. Specialists will review digitized historical materials (primarily documents and photographs, as well as artifacts) and create appropriate metadata. They will offer an interpretation of the contents, identify subject tags, and create contextual links among materials in the collection. Specialists will be expected to work quickly and efficiently, meeting demanding production schedules while ensuring high-quality standards.
Being part of the HistoryIT team demands hard work but offers real rewards for successful efforts. We are looking for people who want to grow and thrive with the company. Regular employee reviews will provide the opportunity for upward mobility, redefined responsibilities, and salary enhancements. For the right individual, eager and able to work in the intersecting worlds of history and technology, this position offers the opportunity for growth into a leadership position in a dynamic, expanding company.
This job can be performed onsite (Portland, ME), remotely, or as a hybrid.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong attention to detail and quality of work
- Ability to function well in a high-paced and at times stressful environment
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently to meet production schedules
- Comfort working independently and in a team environment
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in History or related field
- Extensive knowledge of U.S. history, historiography, and historical practices
- Technological literacy; comfort learning and using new technologies
- Experience using basic database or spreadsheet software; data-entry experience
- Knowledge of archival practices
- Extensive experience in online research methods and resources
- Familiarity of common metadata standards – Dublin Core, MODS, METS, etc.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Strong visual ability to read document content (including typed and handwritten materials) and computer displays for long periods of time
- Ability to lift up to 15 pounds
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected] in order to be considered for this position.